Thursday, October 7, 2010

Don't mess with me today!

Photo borrowed with gratitude from oneijak.com

I had a bad night last night, leading to maximum grouchiness today. I couldn't fall asleep because a friend told me her step-dog got locked in a car during the heat wave last summer and died. I knew that dog. I couldn't get that horrible image out of my head. At midnight I decided that I should set the alarm clock because I had to get up on time this morning and go to work at the gallery. I woke up at 6:00 (about an hour and a half too early) and was wide awake. Now, I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open. Not much business here in the gallery to keep me occupied and I forgot to re-stock my traveling work bag so I'm missing the parts I need to make some knotted necklaces. I have a book to read but it's so difficult to concentrate on it with my eyes slamming shut all the time. When I made my lunch this morning I discovered that the bread was stale and the cheese was moldy. The turkey was OK, so it was just turkey on stale bread for lunch. I was out of mayonnaise. Akkk.

I found out yesterday that my sister and I have to move my Dad from one apartment in his retirement center to another one at the end of this month. He's lived there independently for three years and his Doctor has said he needs more help. He can get that without having to leave his friends by moving to the second floor, where they'll keep a better eye on him by checking on him a couple of times a day and helping him do things that are difficult for him. He got rid of a lot of things when he sold his house so there won't be a whole lot of culling to do this time, and he'll be hiring someone to do the heavy lifting. We just have to pack the fragile things and supervise the move. It's hard watching a parent go down hill, but, thankfully he really likes living there and will be able to stay there for at least a while longer.

And, speaking of going down hill... my 18-year-old cat has become very frail. There have been several times in the last few weeks that I thought he was a goner, but he rallied. It's hard to leave him for a day at the gallery, much less for a trip out of town. I don't think it will be too much longer before I find him passed away, or I have to make the dreadful decision of ending his suffering. I hate this.

So, a lot on my mind today and none of it too pleasant. Let's hope tomorrow's better.

4 comments:

Kim Miles ~ said...

Oh Honey... feel better. xo

Cathy said...

Sending some positive vibes your way!! Hope today is better...

Kristi Bowman said...

Oh boy Zoe, I can relate to everything you're talking about. We thought we were going to move my mom in to assisted living this last summer but circumstances didn't quite work out, she has somebody with her now so maybe next year.

And losing a pet, I've lost count of how many times I've gone through it, never gets easier. Each one takes a bit of your heart!! Take Care!

fredracey said...

I'm just catching up on your blog and find this one particularly difficult and touching. Cinder has been such a good friend for so long, I know how hard that must be for you. He sure is a tough little critter! And so is your dad. He's a very tough critter, too. And I'm glad he can stay there with his peeps. It's a very good place to be when he needs a good place to be in...