Sunday, August 15, 2010

One Last Butterfly Post


As soon as the wild sunflowers, asters and goldenrod start to bloom the Monarch Butterflies start showing up. Their migration between Canada and Mexico never ceases to amaze me. When they reach a final destination they'll cluster together on trees to keep warm.

Photo gratefully borrowed from US Fish and Wildlife

The garden is winding down. It's been so hot this summer that everything is looking parched and faded and I've neglected the weeding because of the heat. The annuals in pots need water twice a day sometimes. There's only a few things left in bloom and I know that in another 6 weeks or so we could have our first frost. I was out on my porch last night and the insects were very loud. I love the sound of a summer night. I'm not quite ready to let the garden go for the season, though. It's still lush and green here and I'm not ready to face another winter like we had last year.

No comments: