Monday, January 10, 2011

A New Attitude


I'm sure you've heard about the big snow storm that's moved across the south over the past couple of days. I undersand how places that don't have the capacity to take care of snow get freaked out.  I had someone ask me if we all made French Toast when it snowed because everyone rushed out to buy milk, bread and eggs! Poor Atlanta, Charlotte and Raleigh! The majority of this particular storm is going south and east of the NC mountains, so there's only been about 4 more inches on top of the 7 inches we already had. It's the back-end, wrap around that's going to get us. One guy is predicting snow every day for the next 4 days and another foot of accumulation. 

If you read my posts from last winter you'll notice that I haven't been complaining about the snow this winter. 2010 was the first really snowy winter in several years (we got 80 inches of snow) and I was not happy about it. I complained about being trapped in my house, not getting out for days and "Oh no, here comes another storm."

I've been thinking about why it's not bothering me as much this year and I think there are several reasons. The first one is that I guess I've gotten used to it. It was annoying before the holidays because so many things had to be re-scheduled or cancelled, but there's just not much going on this time of year. Another reason is that I realized that instead of being "stuck in the house" it's really more like "I choose not to drive in these conditions". If I absolutely HAD to get out I suppose I could. But I choose not to. What a difference that has made! Also, once you have 6 inches of snow on the ground, any more on top of that really doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

The only odd thing is that I feel a little like I'm in the "Groundhog Day" movie. Every day is pretty much like the last one and sometimes I have to think hard to know what day of the week it is. Today is Friday, right?

1 comment:

Fred & Lynn Racey said...

Good for you and your new attitude, Zoe. Seems like it's helping.