Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Back Among the Living!



Well, folks, it's been the week from hell. I'm just now getting caught up and feeling well enough to get on with my life and I've found a few minutes to do a blog post.

The last you heard was that I had an infection in my jaw after having a root canal. The pain didn't get better after I started on antibiotics and over-the-counter drugs were not working at all, or not working long enough to allow me a full night's sleep. So... on Friday I called the Dentist at home (yes, at home... I was not about to stand for this and his office was closed). He called in a prescription for better pain drugs, which I picked up that evening after setting up the show that I was supposed to do on Saturday. It was damp, and cold, and I was feeling like crap. These drugs worked great on the pain, but only for about 5 hours. The worst thing was that they made be sleepy and stupid, and I had a SHOW the next day! My good friend Kimberly was here from Charlotte hoping to have a fun weekend at the Valle Country Fair with me, but it wasn't working out at all like that.

I woke up at 6:00 on Saturday morning and the whole left side of my face was swollen to the point that I could hardly see out of that eye. And, I was still running a fever. I woke Kimberly and we tried to figure out what to do and OH MY GOD! She volunteered to go out to Valle Crucis and DO THE SHOW FOR ME! Is that not the most incredible friend you've ever heard of? And, as predicted, it was ccccccold that day, and there was mud everywhere from all the rain. Luckily, several of my artist friends were set up near by and they helped her wherever and whenever they could.

While Kim was freezing her butt off, I was hauling myself off to Urgent Care place because I couldn't figure out why my face swelled up 5 days after having the root canal and 2 days after I started antibiotics. Plus, I was a little scared. I don't think it's a good thing to have an infection anywhere, but I think having one in your HEAD is worth getting all the medical help you can! (One symptom of an allergic reaction to the pain meds was facial swelling, but I didn't think that was it because I was only swollen on my left side.) The Doctor there was pretty much worthless. As soon as he heard that it was a dental problem he brushed me off and told me to see my Dentist again. He did give me some 800mg Motrin, though, which knocked out the pain, lasts for 8 hours, and didn't send me off to la-la-land. Then he was moving on the the next $88.00 customer. He didn't even look in my mouth, or touch me at all. Took all of 5 minutes, at the most. I came home and slept most of the rest of the day.

Yesterday I was back in the Dentist's chair and he was a little clueless, too. The only thing he could come up with was that when he filled the root canal some bacteria was pushed up into the bone, which caused the infection, and bone infections take a long time for antibiotics to get to them. Today the swelling is nearly gone and I haven't had to take pain meds all day.

I am filled with gratitude today. I'm grateful that I have friends who love me and are willing to help me out under the worst possible conditions. I'm grateful to be out of pain. I'm grateful for a good night's sleep. I'm grateful to be feeling almost normal again.

To all of my customers who walked into the booth on Saturday and said to Kim "You're not Zoe", I'm sorry that I couldn't be there to see you. To those of you who made purchases: thank you for helping me pay off my Dentist bill!

Now everyone needs to remember that my BIG, BIG BIRTHDAY SALE starts in exactly 12 days. I've already had some inquiries about it - people sending me convos asking if certain pieces will be marked down. I've thought of another gimmick to get you to purchase: Everyone that makes a purchase will have their name put in for a random drawing for a $20.00 pair of earrings when the sale is over.

And, last, thank you to all of you who called, emailed, facebooked (is that a word?) with your concerns about me.... MMMMMMWWWAAA! I love you all back!

1 comment:

Beth Hikes said...

Oh my gosh! This is awful. So glad you are on the mend because that does sound scary. Kim sounds like a keeper :)