Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year Miscellaneous Stuff


I hope everyone's holidays were wonderful. Personally, I'm delighted that the season's done. Over the Christmas weekend I did a lot of driving and a little bit of visiting. I'm grateful that the visiting was of excellent quality, even if the quantity was small. This is what I have to do, since I'm the one who lives so far away from the rest of my family. The New Year's weekend was quiet and uneventful.


I don't make resolutions for the new year. I'm afraid that if I did, my list would look similar to the one above! (Except for #5. Oh, and #4 - I might stand up to my boss (me) but I won't be looking for a job.) It's just so easy to make a list, then feel overwhelmed by what you've written down, so I've come up with a mental list of things I'd like to improve on. One of the things I'd like to do better is to actually watch the shows I record on my DVR before it gets full and I have to have a marathon TV watching session to make room for new recordings. Another way to remedy this problem is to only record the shows that I really, really like. I have nearly complete seasons of a couple of shows that I haven't watched because I'm not all that enthralled with them. I don't delete them because, well, what if I run out of things to watch? That's ridiculous. SO... manage the DVR better is on my list.

My very dear friend Joan passed away rather suddenly on 12/27. She was undoubtedly one of the nicest people I've ever known - always a smile on her face and a hug available for anyone. She never judged and always had something nice to say. In this next year I'm going to strive to be more like her. Her death also brings the "life is short and you never know when it's over" thing to the front of my brain and so I'm going to try and do at least one fun thing with my friends and/or family every week.

I have several projects in my house and studio and, since I'm on "sabbatical" from jewelry making until the end of March, I want to tackle that list before then. (I say sabbatical because I can't think of another word for not working at what I normally work at for awhile. I suppose since it's my business I can call it whatever I want. (and the sabbatical has allowed me to paint my fingernails for the first time in years, since I won't be doing anything to ruin the manicure!)) Some of these projects are small, taking only an hour or less, and others will take several days. Some are fun, some not so much. I'll tackle them a little bit at a time, a little bit every day.

I hope that if this turning of the calendar has inspired you to do something new or different, that you achieve nothing but success! Happy 2012.

No comments: