Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Oh My!

I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted here. Spring has all of a sudden become summer and I've been incredibly busy. I have managed to find a few minutes here to update you on what's been going on.

I spent a lot of time thinking about what to plant in my new garden beds, but ultimately decided on only a few perennials. In the past when I've made a new garden bed I've gone to great lengths to kill the grass (without using chemicals) before I planted anything. It involves a season of black plastic and then thick layers of newspaper. I realized that there is still grass under all the mulch in these new beds and, since it's the kind of grass with the creeping underground roots, it might be disastrous if I spent a lot of money and planted perennials, only to have grass invade the whole thing. So, I bought a flat of impatiens to occupy the space this summer and I'll put down the plastic in the fall.


In the above photo you can see that I did splurge on a few things before I made the decision to wait. I couldn't resist the "Orange Marmalade" Hostas, or these variegated Ajuga below:


I needed a ground cover between the steps that could stand some foot traffic, so I got these plants called Brass Buttons. They're supposed to be a fast spreader and will have a tiny flower on them in a few weeks. They look like tiny ferns. 


I divided and transplanted some Creeping Jenny from other places in the yard to some of the spaces between the rocks.

I can also divide some creeping phlox from elsewhere and get it going so it will eventually tumble over the walls.

I planted onions, beans and my second crop of lettuce and arugula in my raised bed. That space only lacks a basil plant to be finished. I have some large pots that need to have annuals in them, but gardening is on hold for a little while. It's time to get in the studio because tourists will be back starting this weekend!

I realized that I was almost out of earrings of every kind. So I spent a few days making both copper and silver ones and I finished over 30 pairs yesterday. That ought to hold me for awhile! I also finished a few bracelets and a couple of rings. All of this will probably end up in the galleries, but I'll try and get photos and post them before they go.

My social life has blossomed, too! I went to my best friend's birthday party last week and had dinner with my cousin and her husband last Saturday. I also had to go to a memorial service for another friend's father and, even though it was not a social occasion, we sent him off in style by flinging his ashes off the top of Kendrick Mountain. Tomorrow I have company coming, so it's time to clean house and start cooking. Hopefully my next post won't take so long.

2 comments:

Lora Hart said...

The garden sounds wonderful. I haven't had one since I was a little girl. Snap dragons and sweet peas still make me feel like a youngster.

Alice Walkowski said...

You definitely have a green thumb. It's going to be beautiful.